Marriage licenses are issued through the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office in any county or city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The ceremony may be performed anywhere in the State. The minimum age requirement is 18 years for both spouses, unless a minor has been emancipated by court order. Upon application for a marriage license, an emancipated minor shall provide a certified copy of the order of emancipation. The marriage license fee is $30 and acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, visa or master card. A 4% convenience fee is added to all credit card payments. The marriage must be performed within 60 days after issuance of the license.
Procedures for Obtaining a Marriage License
No Appointment is necessary; however, licenses are issued between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday though Friday.
- Both spouses must be present and present a valid photo identification.
- Spouses must each fully complete the marriage application (PDF) and make oath that the information contained in the marriage record is true under the penalty of perjury.
- The marriage license fee is paid and the spouses are provided packets of information for both the marriage officiant and themselves.
- A marriage between an ancestor and or descendant; or between a brother and a sister; or between an uncle and a niece; or between an aunt and a nephew; whether the relationship is by half or the whole blood or adoption.
- When either of the parties lacks capacity to consent to the marriage because of mental incapacity or infirmity.
- "Common Law" marriages are not valid if entered into in Virginia or any other jurisdiction, which does not permit them for its residents.
A minister or marriage officiant must be authorized by a circuit court to celebrate the rites of matrimony. In addition, the court in each county and city has appointed marriage celebrants who are eligible to perform civil marriage ceremonies. The minister or officiant performing the ceremony must complete and sign copies A and B of the Marriage Register and return both to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office who issued the license within five days after the ceremony is performed. The Circuit Court Clerk’s Office will forward the marriage record to the State Division of Vital Records.
Marriage Officiants who have been authorized by the Circuit Court of Gloucester County, Virginia to Perform a “civil” ceremony:
- Ann Gentry
- Mary Oney
Certified copies of the marriage license may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office who issued the license. One certified copy is provided to each newly wedded couple at no charge. Each additional copy is $2.50.